Tuesday 22 March 2016

Come hither to and wander our glorious Galaxy.

It is day 45, and over this last session, I have travelled quite a distance, having spent more time in the game than usual. I have "touched", or been through 7 star fields getting back onto my original track along the galactic spiral arm. I seem to be making a lot of progress now, and still enjoying the trip immensely. The systems that had previously been discovered, were in the Crescent Nebula, although I am wondering if I will now come across a system with a Cmdr's name on it.


DescriptionValues
Distance covered4062.3 Ly
Number of jumps148
Systems surveyed100
Systems undiscovered145


I suppose one could say that I have reached a mini milestone. I have now jumped over 10k Ly. It may not sound much, especially when you consider it alongside of the great explorers out there, but for me, it feels great!

One of the great things about using a spread sheet, is the fact that with a little bit of programming, it is easy to start generating some interesting facts about this exploration trip. The table below shows a summary for the trip so far.


DescriptionValues
Distance covered11,226.4 Ly
Number of jumps407
Total Star Fields10
Largest Star Field65 Jumps
Shortest Star Field7 Jumps
Total Scoop-able Suns382
Total UN-Scoop-able Suns25


This part of the journey has been much faster as I have skipped surveying on the systems that just have a sun and a few icy bodies, especially when these bodies are really spread out. It simply is not worth the time to jaunt all over the system and waiting for each body to scan for 500 credits per body. I have however been scanning the major sun after scooping as I am usually no more than a few hundred Ls away and they scan pretty fast.

I have made a good observation on myself. When taking the pain killers called Tramadol, (which I have mentioned in a previous post), the side effects really do come into play. I have noticed my hand-eye coordination reduced considerably, and often, I have nearly crashed into a planet on the approach for scanning. It is true what they say, don't drive when taking these tablets. Lesson learnt!

Atmospherics


It is now becoming a job to find some really worth while pictures to post, as many planets look quite similar, however there are some exceptions and still some jewels. I have noticed that in the systems I have visited, where the planets have an atmosphere, this atmosphere appears much thicker. Case in point, are these shots below:



Water World
High Metallic World
Water World
Water World
High Metallic World with an Ice Pack
High Metallic World
The atmospheres on the water worlds were both oxygen and carbon dioxide and were candidates for transformation. Which I find strange if there were no land masses. Perhaps the terraforming process allows land mass creation too. Who knows what is possible in Elite Dangerous timeline!

Galactic Jewels


I think I perhaps spend more time trying to get into a good position to take these images. They make look boring, but I find these really interesting and try to take reference shots where I can. It seems that often, a pair of bodies that are very close to each other, that would make a superb picture, are simply not worth spending time on, as either one eclipses the other or there simply isn't enough light to make them look great. Perhaps I am too fussy, but there you go,

As mentioned above there are still many jewels to be found. I am still in awe at some of these amazing planet textures.

Such vivid colours for this twinned body. Note the great constellation in the distance.


Volcanic regions showing up quite well. It was a pity that this rock had an atmosphere or I would have landed and checked them out.


The Great Lakes - or should that be landlocked oceans!


Spotty Dick - or if you are into cheese, "Mayfield".



There are quite a few yellow bodies like this, but the first so far with obvious lakes.


The Planet of Gold. Simply stunning!


A Class Y Dwarf  with a massive ring system.


Saved for a desktop picture.

Well.... I hope you have enjoyed these images and this post in my blog. I haven't really said that much, as I would prefer to let the images do the talking. If you have read down to here, thank you. But most of all, thank you too all of my visitors across the world. I didn't realise that Elite Dangerous had such a wide audience. There are still many aspects of this game that leave me speechless.

Those of you that have visited before, you may notice that there is now an animation on the side bar. If you find that this slows done the loading of the page considerably, or notice any other strange anomalies, please let me know via a comment, Twitter, or in the forums,

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment