Friday 29 April 2016

Day 80ish.. A post before I leave on a short holiday...

First of all, a warm welcome to all of those who have visited from all over the world. I am now using Google Analytics and as it has been in operation for a little while now, I can see a list of the countries where you folks reside. I have to admit, I am very surprised and impressed.

This list is in no particular order.

UK, US, Netherlands, Germany, France, Spain, Finland, Singapore, Italy, Norway, Belgium, China, Greece, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Australia, Brazil, Croatia, Hungary, Serbia, Russia, Sweden, Slovakia, Bermuda.

The other thing that has surprised me, is the length of time spent reading the blog and the fact that readers have explored the various posts and pages. So I guess I must be doing something right!

As for my short break, I will be leaving on Sunday and travelling up the East Coast of the UK and into Yorkshire. The weather doesn't look good, but that really wont worry me too much. I will taking a beanie, scarf, and gloves and some decent waterproofs. Sea Fishing will be the order of the day, assuming the wind is not blowing a hooley. I will be with a good friend, so it should be fun, If I catch anything, which is doubtful, I'll have my phone with me, so they may, just may, be some pictures!


Tripping Across the Galaxy


DescriptionValues
Distance covered8035.9 Ly
Number of jumps290
Systems surveyed138
Systems undiscovered291

My route has taken me into a dark area of the Galaxy. Most of the stars in the Fraufoo system are class Y, L and T, so scooping is out of the question. What I have had to do, is to manually select the route, skimming the area and dropping into systems that have had M class stars to restock on fuel. It is not a painful process, but does make it more time consuming. I wanted to do this, as I was not too sure what the system would look like and I needed to confirm my ideas.

Most of these systems only had a single sun, but what was odd, was that some of them had a rotational speed that was observable. Usually stars are pretty much static, but sometimes there are some that do rotate. Now that I have discovered how to use the NVidia utilities, I have been able to capture some of these rotations as video, so for the first time in this blog, I have moving pictures!

You may need to watch these in full screen mode.

Below is Class Y Dwarf that is rotating very noticeably. Not much light being produced here, so the video is quite dark. If these videos are enhanced using the YouTube utilities, it totally breaks the colours!



Here is another Class Y, but this star is much hotter. This is a longer video, around 5 minutes, but if you stay and watch it closely, you will discover that it has white spots, rather than black spots. I am not sure if this is a buggy lighting effect, but interesting non the less. The fact that they travel across the surface, makes me believe that this is an intended feature of the star rather than an artefact. This star also produces CMEs which can also be seen both forming and decaying.





The last video is another class T which is rotation very fast. It does make me wonder if it was physically possible, but of course it is; this is slow in comparison to some pulsars.





1206 System Visited


Now that I have been through over 1200 systems, I do have to wonder what else there is to show, that hasn't been shown before. Each time I start a new session, I cross my fingers in the hope that something stunning or odd will appear. This ringed ammonia gas giant, had a great moon in a close orbit with some stunning colours that were just screaming to be investigated. The pale sky blue rifts really caught my eye.


One of the very few selfies.


These ravines were very deep but had shallow sides, or I would have got stuck!

This session has produced two firsts for me. The first first, as it were, is a High Metal Content World, with a CO2 atmosphere and Pristine Rings. Sadly, it was not terraformable.

High Metal Content World - Pristine Rings

The other first was this ringed water world which also had a tiny moon 

Ringed Water world plus a tiny moon.


Interesting ring formation.


More Gas Giants


My last post featured a number of gas giants, so adding to that cluster of eye candy, here are a few more that caught my eye.





Other Bodies of Interest


Earth World twinned with High Metal Content World... if twinned is the right term.

Ammonia World

Pretty, pretty

This has a rather violent history

The moon that made me feel homesick.


Which direction to head for?


I have been keeping a close interest on the thread in the ED Forums regarding the Formadine Rift. Those of you that are also following this thread may have seen my few comments, but nothing substantial of course. Whilst being way for a while, I have decided to take of copy Reclamation to read up on the Lore of this mystery.

As I am currently in the vicinity, (around 2k Ly away), I am wondering whether I should veer towards the Rift and do a little exploration around it, and see what can be found. With 2.1 on it's way it may be prudent to remain a little closer to SOL, especially as the Engineers looks highly promising. This will not mean the end of exploration though.

As I am quite defenceless in my Asp and with rumours of Exploration becoming more dangerous, I am seriously considering changing my ship to something a little more substantial. Time will tell, and after my break, I may feel entirely different! Who knows what the future will bring?

Interesting times ahead, to be sure!


A quick update - missed out an awesome planet!


No comments:

Post a Comment